Saturday, September 19, 2026

Now on at Art Center Sarasota

"Lone Ranger Crossing the Alps" by Daniel Jensen
Art Center Sarasota is currently home to an exhibit entitled "Icons." The theme is defined further as "a visual exploration of figures, symbols and moments that shape culture, influence society and transcend time." The concept gives artists a lot of latitude -- and they took it. It's a strong show. 

Daniel Jensen's "Lone Ranger Crossing the Alps" is brilliant. You might laugh at first to see the Lone Ranger and his trusty Silver featured in this work. Isn't he essentially a comic strip character? I would have thought so, but the concept behind this character, as conceived by television show writer Fran Striker, is more elevated. The Lone Ranger's "moral code" begins "I believe that to have a friend, you must be one." Click here to read his entire credo.

I am totally on board with this philosophy, but the Lone Ranger's origin story isn't what attracted me to this image. It's the way Jensen has drawn on art history and traditions in his depiction. The painting refers to Jacques Louis David's "Napoleon Crossing the Alps," which you can see by clicking here. Sure, David's painting isn't historically accurate, but that's a story for another day. 

Then there's Jensen's use of gold leaf as the background. This immediately brought to mind religious paintings, but its incorporation has broader meaning. Gold leaf is associated not only with divinity but with immortality and -- of course -- wealth. Using the material as the background here raises the Lone Ranger's status to something beyond the mere commercial. I love it. For more of Jensen's work, click here

"Sign of the Times" by Tom Cawthon
Given the amount of Diet Coke I drink, it's not surprising that I was attracted to Tom Cawthon's "Sign of the Times." (I'll beat you to it -- the deterioration of this sign is likely representative of what's happened to my insides, but we'll forget about that for right now.) As an(other) aside, I learned not too long ago that Diet Coke was introduced when I was in college. It was a better option than Tab (ugh), but now I am truly digressing. 

Cawthon was drawn to photography at a young age. He grew up in Tallahassee, a city that provided access to both natural beauty and the thrill of college sports. Cawthon is one of those fortunate people who parlayed his passion into a job. He worked for 40 years leading commercial designers, photographers and videographers in the corporate world. Once he retired, Cawthon returned to a more hands on role in capturing the shot. 

I reached out to Cawthon to find out what it was about this image that captured his interest. I learned that he came upon the ad on the side of a grocery store in Belize. What inspired him to take the shot was the way it exemplified the fleeting but pervasive nature of advertising while simultaneously celebrating the endurance of recognizable symbols. I like it. For more about Cawthon and his work, click here.

"Iconic Cigar Makers of Tampa" by Darryl Goldman
I was also drawn to Darryl Goldman's "Iconic Cigar Makers of Tampa." How could I not be after having toured the J.C. Newman Cigar Factory in Ybor City and seeing "Anna in the Tropics" at Asolo Rep earlier this year? In case you're not familiar with the show, it's set in a cigar factory and features a lecter who reads to the cigar workers to distract them from the repetitious nature of their jobs. (Today's workers all had earbuds in.) Jimmy Smits played the reader in the show on Broadway, which I'm sorry I didn't catch. 

I saw on FB that there's now a little red dot on the wall card for this work. Congrats to Goldman for the sale! I also learned that Goldman is working on a companion piece featuring the historic Colombia restaurant in Ybor City. I hope we'll get a chance to see that work when it's done.  

In this great interview with Goldman, he shares a bit of his history. He has created art from a young age. His work showed enough promise that his mother thought he was lying when he showed her a painting he'd done at school -- and threatened to spank him for lying! After checking with the art teacher who confirmed the work was his, his mom signed him up for weekly classes. Hopefully she also apologized.

Despite his talent, Goldman's calling was as a minister; his career included time as a chaplain in the Army. Once he retired, he returned to his love to making art. For more on Goldman and his art, click here

"Untitled #3" by Antoine Williams
Also on display is a solo show by Antoine Williams entitled "Putting Breath in the Body." His work is terrific. My photos, not so much.This picture doesn't begin to capture the depth of color in what Williams calls "Untitled #3." I prefer to be given a title so I have a sense of the artist's mindset. (That sounds so much better than "I'm intellectually lazy and want to be spoonfed," doesn't it?) But I'll carry on. 

Everything about this image engages me. I love the grandmotherly figure who looks out at the camera in a straightforward manner. "Yes, I'm here," she seems to be saying. But where is "here?" In a park? At a bus stop? And why is she dressed for an entirely different season than the child sitting next to her?  It's left to the viewer to decide, and that's before we get to the mask sitting next to the child. 

So, the mask. What culture is it from? Why is it there? It doesn't seem to be particularly friendly given the bared teeth. Is it protecting the woman and child or does it want them to also stay away? I have so many questions -- in a good way. For a great piece on Williams and his art, click here

Both exhibits continue at Art Center Sarasota through September 26th. For more information, click here. They are definitely worth seeing. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Now on at Art Center Sarasota

"Lone Ranger Crossing the Alps" by Daniel Jensen Art Center Sarasota is currently home to an exhibit entitled "Icons." T...