Tuesday, December 22, 2020

Van Gogh Alive at the Dali Museum

"Starry Night"
Remember the moment in "Mary Poppins" when Mary, Bert and the kids jump into a chalk painting and find themselves in a different world?  I had that same feeling when I entered the Van Gogh Alive exhibit at the Dali Museum in St. Pete. My humdrum Covid existence had suddenly been replaced by an alternate reality featuring Van Gogh's sunflowers and windmills and star-filled nights. It was magical. 

I had heard about these immersive exhibits from friends who'd been fortunate enough to see them in Europe. But it's hard to appreciate the impact of a multi-media experience featuring the work of a beloved artist until you experience it. Sure, I knew there would be room-sized recreations of Van Gogh's paintings, but for some reason I thought they would be static. Silly me, because of course they are projections which enable the movement so imbedded in Van Gogh's work to be realized. And so the wind in "Starry Night" actually swirls, the birds in "Wheat Field with Crows" fly, and the water in "Starry Night over the Rhone" ripples. It was fabulous if a bit dizzying at times. 

"Blossoming Almond Tree"
The exhibit takes viewers through each phase of Van Gogh's life, from the Netherlands to Paris, from Japan to Arles and, finally, from Saint-Remy to Auvers. As you experience the paintings,  accompanying music helps set the mood. The selections were nothing short of inspired, and I can't imagine a better example of the way pairing the visual arts with music can raise both art forms to an even higher level. 

I smiled as we experienced Paris with the sounds of accordians in the backgrounds compliments of Coeur Vagabond. I marveled at the beauty of Katharine Jenkins' and Kiri Te Kanama's voices singing the "Flower Duet" from the opera "Lakme." I laughed to myself when "The Cherry Blossoms" song began to play, remembering my participation in a grade school production that I'm sure would now be considered politically incorrect. And I saddened as Handel's gorgeous "Sarabande" signaled Van Gogh's death (and the end of the show).  In case you're interested, you can listen to the soundtrack from the exhibit on Spotify. (Click here to check it out.) 

Another wonderful -- and surprising -- element of the experience was the inclusion of Van Gogh quotes. Van Gogh expressed himself beautifully in words as well as paint, writing over 900 letters to fellow artists, dealers and his brother Theo over the course of 18 years.  In one letter he wrote, "What color is in a picture, enthusiasm is in life." Just think about that for a minute. 

My favorite quote read: "Close friends are truly life's treasures...Their presence reminds us that we are never truly alone." Now, more than ever, the truth in that statement hit home. To read more of his quotes and accompanying artworks, click here for a compilation by My Modern Met. 

I could go on and on about this exhibit, but reading about the experience -- or watching video clips online -- doesn't begin to capture what it's like to be in the midst of it. Which reminds me: I have a bone to pick with WSJ columnist Terry Teachout. In a recent article, Teachout expressed strong negative opinions about "Immersive Van Gogh," a similar style exhibit on view in Toronto. Without having seen the show -- or any other immersive exhibit -- Teachout opines these exhibits are mere gimmicks that monetize art under the guise of providing viewers with a new and exciting way to experience art. I have so much to say in response.  

First, Mr. Teachout, most people don't have the opportunity to see these masterpieces in person. What an elitist assumption. Second, studies show that the average visitor to a museum spends 15-30 seconds in front of a work of art, including the time reading the wall card. (Hence, the "slow art" movement.)  In Van Gogh Alive, each image was on the screen for at least that much time, and the large format revealed every brush stroke and the surprising juxtapositions of color that Van Gogh employed. The entire show ran almost 45 minutes during which we were, yes, immersed in Van Gogh's world. Third, exhibits such as this are "events" that attract people who might not otherwise visit a museum. It's worth noting that there were a number of families at the exhibit; i.e., children being exposed to art in a fun and engaging way. Fourth, who says Van Gogh Alive and similar experiences are intended to replace viewing the art in person?  Would anyone say, "I'm in Amsterdam, but I'm going to pass on the Van Gogh Museum since I saw Van Gogh Alive." Hello???  Finally, how presumptuous of Teachout to express such strong negative views based on watching videos. I suggest he get off his high horse and get back to us when he has experienced Van Gogh Alive or a similar exhibit first hand. Whew! I feel better having that off my chest! 

Van Gogh Alive runs at the Dali Museum through April 11, when it will move to Indianapolis. Get there if you can. It's an experience you'll always remember.

Stay safe, and happy holidays.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cuba! Experiencing the Performing Arts

Dancers from Rosario Cardenas Dance Company Visiting different performing arts venues was one of the many highlights of our trip to Havana. ...