Sunday, June 12, 2011

Movies by the Pool at the Isles Yacht Club

I'm undoubtedly dating myself when I say that I have fond memories of drive-in movies.  I remember going to the drive-in with my parents and my sister in our family station wagon.  It was always so exciting.  You'd find your spot in the aisle, roll the window two-thirds of the way down and clip the speaker on.  We always got there early enough to have time to burn off some of our excess energy on the playground before settling into the car with plenty of popcorn and candy to watch the cartoons and feature.  It was heaven.  In high school, drive-in movies carried a somewhat different sense of excitement about them but enough said about that.  I will say, though, that I remember seeing "Saturday Night Fever" at the drive-in and thinking how incredibly cool and sexy John Travolta was in his stark white leisure suit.  Ah, those were the days!

Fast forward to 2011 and the Isles Yacht Club's take on the drive-in--movies by the pool.  When I heard the Club was going to round out its Memorial Day week-end activities with an outdoor movie, I was disappointed that I wasn't going to be around.  Happily, movies by the pool are on the IYC calendar over the next few months, and I was able to make last night's showing of "Dead Calm" with Nicole Kidman, Sam Neill and Billy Zane.   As the sun set, we settled into our chairs and before it was totally dark, Billy Zane had rowed his tender over to board S/V Saracen.   As we watched events unfold, Dominica came around with popcorn and your beverage of choice.  With relatively low humidity and temperatures, only one person chose to watch from her float in the pool.  (I can imagine this will be a much more popular option as the summer progresses.)  It's hard to imagine a more pleasant way to spend an evening.   In the words of the Governator and philanderer extraordinaire Arnold Schwarznegger, "I'll be back!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cuba! Sculpture and More at Havana's National Museum of Fine Arts

"Ocio" by Gabriel Cisneros Baez (2022)  No visit to Havana would be complete without a stop at the National Museum of Fine Arts. T...