Saturday, October 30, 2010

Exercise Punta Gorda Style

I woke up today and the heat and humidity had magically vanished without a drop of rain falling.  I wanted to take a walk instead of going to the gym so I decided to try the walk over the bridge that spans the Peace River and links Punta Gorda to Port Charlotte.  I drove to the hotel at the foot of the bridge, turned on my Ipod and started across, not know exactly what to expect.  I have to say that I don't really get the allure of this trek.  The bridge is about a mile across and there is traffic whizzing by you pretty much all the time.  It reminds me a bit of walking or jogging on the esplanade by the East River in NYC, which never seemed that appealing to me.  There were a couple of nice points, however.  First, there's a nice breeze, which would be great on a hot day.  Second, you can sing at the top of your lungs without having to be concerned about disturbing other people--or hearing yourself, for that matter, which is always a plus when you're talking about my voice!

I did discover one nice thing, which is that there's a path that goes under the bridge and runs along Charlotte Harbor for some distance.  I will definitely try this out one day when I feel like walking somewhere other than in the neighborhood.  In the short distance that I traveled, I saw some interesting birds along the shore.  Sadly, I was unable to identify them (other than the pelican) so perhaps I'll have to add ornithology to my ever-growing to-do list.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cuba! Exploring Old Havana

Rafa in the Plaza de San Francisco Christopher Columbus was busy back in 1492. That was the year he "discovered" both America and ...