Sunday, August 29, 2010

Virgin Post

OK, here's my first attempt at blogging. I figure that if I say I want to start doing some writing of some sort, I might as well try with this. My undertaking: post for the next 30 days. I will be writing about whatever strikes my fancy--be it Chester, golf, bridge, books, adult literacy or something else entirely.

One of my thoughts is to check blogging out as a resource for LV-UC tutors. If I can get it figured out, I can then share the technique with others who can then use it for more advanced classes. There could be a link from our website, which would be cool. And then I had the idea of trying to do the animal idioms post -- I have no idea if it would be possible to do this with pictures but it will be fun to try and figure it out. Any additional types of computer literacy are bound to be helpful for me as I start on the next phase of my life--perhaps a more creative phase (and undoubtedly a less lucrative one!) I am looking forward to exploring the adult literacy program made available through the Charlotte County Public Schools System and finding out about how the lab environment works. I guess it's the same as someone trying to work on their English from home, but with some supervision. The personal touch seems to be so important, though, to keeping people motivated, especially ESL students who may not have much of an opportunity to speak English at home or in their communities. I was always surprised to hear about women who were in our program whose husbands--and children!--were resistant to speaking English at home and helping them achieve their goal of literacy. A kind of suppression almost (which brings to mind A Thousand Splendid Suns, which I just mentioned to my sister yesterday).

That's it for post one. Don't want to go crazy in case I end up somehow losing this! TTFN.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cuba! Sculpture and More at Havana's National Museum of Fine Arts

"Ocio" by Gabriel Cisneros Baez (2022)  No visit to Havana would be complete without a stop at the National Museum of Fine Arts. T...